Months before we deployed, someone off-handedly remarked about this deployment, "at least we'll get two beers on November 10th." Wait, what? Apparently on the Marine Corps Birthday, November 10th, all deployed Marines get two beers at dinner. Since we'd be working for the Marines, assigned to a Marine base, we rationalized that we, too, might fall under the 2-beer umbrella. I didn't really give much thought to it until November 9th, when we were told we'd be allowed two beers at dinner.
It was supposed to work like this: anybody who wanted their share of brew at dinner would go into the back room at the chow hall where representatives from their unit would be back there with coolers of beer and a roster. They check your name off, open the beers right there an front of you, and send you on your way. Sounded good to me. What actually ended up happening was they didn't have enough for all, so only lower enlisted (E5 and below) got buzzed on suds, while the rest of us got to watch. I didn't mind. Two beer would have only whet my appetite for more, better to not even feed the beast. It was amusing, however, to see cans of beer on the tables across the chow hall. Those that got them had pleasant smiles on their faces and rosy cheeks.
And if you're wondering, the available ales: MGD, Miller Lite, Bud, Bud Light, and Guinness.
3 comments:
Thank you for being there Andrew. We are all thinking about you and praying for you. Veterans Day would not be possible without people like you. Thank you. When you get back, all the beer you can drink on us!
Amen to that. You're in our hearts on Veteran's Day (and most other days too)and same for every man and woman over there. Saying thank you isn't enough but its the best I can think of. I'd be honored to pop a top for you or unscrew a cap for you when you return.
Hi Andrew....I read your blogs regularly. I know so well what a personal sacrifice it is for you to be there and separated from Haley and your life at home. I keep you in my prayers and all the other servicemen and women.
Post a Comment