Sunday, December 16, 2007

18 - Low Crawl

The other day I came to work and a soldier in our Company was low crawling through the sand around our buildings.  His Platoon Sergeant stood over him giving encouraging words while sipping from his morning coffee.  I asked Tom (Tom = Tom Pierce = 1LT Pierce = Good friend of Caroline's) what was up and he told me the dude was 45 minutes late to work that day. 

That evening we had a formation to give out awards for some soldiers who traveled to another post to fix a helicopter that was broke.  (It was actually a helicopter I was flying, but that's a story for another day that I'll probably never get around to telling)  And who was up in front of our entire formation getting an award but the same guy crawling through the sand earlier that day

Tom summed it up best at lunch today when he said only in the Army can an adult be dragging himself across the ground as punishment in the morning and having medals pinned to his chest that night.

No comments: