Saturday, September 29, 2007

12 - Youth

Last night's flight was completely normal, except that we realized about half way through what a young crew it was.  I was the oldest at 26.  The other pilot was Tom Pierce (a Gonzaga alum, making it an all Gonzaga cockpit, the spirit of Adam Morrison was in the jumpseat) at 24.  The Flight Engineer was 23 and the two Crew Chief's were both 21.  Yikes.  As the old man of the crew, I gave my best effort to be as grumpy as possible.

Young crews aren't that usual, especially with warrant officers in the mix.  Most of those guys are prior enlisted who have several years in the service.  I've more often found myself the youngest on board, enduring the heckling that sometimes comes with that.  For the most part, the pilots are all in their late 20's to mid 30's.  The prime of their career.  We have one though that celebrated his 50th birthday when we in Kuwait.  FIFTY!  God help me if I'm over here for my 50th birthday. 

No comments: